Saturday 20 December 2008

Almost the longest day

The winter solstice is the name given to the shortest day - or longest night - and if it ISN'T that today, then it is round about now. The word solstice always puts me in mind of one of the best Christmas tunes - Jethro Tull's Ring Out Solstice Bells....but today I have two tunes going round in my head and both of them are because of other people.

Firstly, my mum and dad are fans of a series called Early Doors, and I was persuaded to watch an episode last week at their house. I really enjoyed it, not knowing dad was watching my reactions to it, and ordered my the boxed set, which was a nice gesture. But he'd already had me on a Google hunt for the words to the theme tune - a track by Roddy Frame from his 2002 "Surf" cd.

The track is Small World and I can't remember the last time my dad recommended a piece of music I was so attracted to. The chorus goes

Rushing through the stars,
Captivated by the worlds beyond
So far...... unknown.....
Floating in a car
Past the gates of mustdestroy.com

You aren't alone
It's a small world and you've grown

The next piece of music, totally different, is by Half Man Half Biscuit, and a result of an e-mail swap with Ian Kay. Just a question from Ian if I had any of their music.

I hadn't.

So, selected purely for its title alone, I bought "For What Is Chatteris" from the iTunes store.

Musically, miles away from Roddy Frame.

Lyrically, very clever and incisive

Like a game-bird reserve short on pheasants
Weavers’ cottages devoid of tenants
A market town that lacks quintessence
That’s Chatteris without your presence
Three good butchers, two fine chandlers
An indoor pool and a first class cake shop
Ofsted plaudits, envy of the Fens
Crick barriers at both ends

But what’s Chatteris if you’re not there?

Well, Ailsa won't be there for two weeks, and not will her work colleagues, as they are now on Christmas shut down, but my workmates, the Pro-Spray people, will still be at it until Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment