Wednesday 14 January 2009

Tunes and Sweets and Fags

I have been digging out a few old CDs lately, to complement the newer ones like Coldplay and The Script, and have been enjoying the likes of Earth Wind and Fire and Alanis Morrisette, whose Jagged Little Pill album is that of a rather angry young lady. But isn't it funny how it only takes hearing a track from the past to trigger a prompted memory response.

Take last evening for example. Ailsa and I went to the gym, and amongst several songs which "sounded good when you haven't heard them in a while" was .......ermmmm...Lambada! It reminded me of the fortnight we spent in Cyprus in 1989, when the weather was excellent, and we came back to scrape ice from the car windscreen at Luton Airport. Scraping ice from car windscreens is something that is a bit of a habit at the moment.

Yesterday, I took the company banking into Biggleswade and discovered a lovely little traditional sweet shop, racked out with humbugs, rhubarb & custard, pear drops, licquorice stick and jars and jars of the stuff which used to rot our teeth before we were 8. I treated the girls in the office to some chocolate mice and the rest of the staff had Milky Ways, Sherbet Dabs and Milky Bars.

Later, after Kev Croot asked me to get him a pack of Old Holborn, I thought "this is the first time I have stood in a queue to buy ciggies since I used to pick up 20 Embassy tipped for mey dad in the days when kids could buy cigs on an errand. I was not surprised by the extent of the warnings on packs, but amazed to see the survival of such brands as Senior Service, Park Drive and Woodbines.

Sadly, the little sweet shop doesn't sell sweet cigarette - I guess it is not PC in these non-enlightened times.

No comments:

Post a Comment