Friday 16 April 2010

Hitting the campaign trail

I am very new to local politics, after Councillor Mike Shellens talked me into standing as a Prospective District Councillor for Huntingdon East for the Liberal Democrats. But I really do feel I have the financial and administrative expertise, plus drive and enthusiasm to make a difference – otherwise I wouldn’t have agreed to try. And so a few weeks ago, I collected the relevant signatures in order to put my name forwards.

A whole new set of skills to learn; checking the register, finding out if people want a postal vote, learning about issues "on the doorstep". Actually in reality, it can be, "on the drive" or "at the garage door" but so far, most people have been great to deal with. It is almost inevitable that you will encounter a few who don't agree, or in the case of one guy, don't want to even talk. Fair play.....but those of you who do want to speak, or write to me. My e-mail address is ste.greenall@ntlworld.com.

It’s been very eye-opening, hearing what people think, whether that be unhappy at the public loos being closed, the huge costs of Pathfinder House, the “waste of money” guided bus (not my words, a lady in Eagle Way!) But I am getting the feeling that people are happy to support a party which nationally is about fairness but locally, tries to engage with people. And having finished last night at about 8.25, I went home and watched the debates.

It is far too early to start to try to guess the impact of the history-making debate between the three main leaders, but for once, I have to agree with what Gordon Brown kept saying.

"I have to agree with Nick".

No comments:

Post a Comment