Thursday 29 April 2010

Vote for me.......won't you?

When I moved to Huntingdonshire – to Godmanchester, actually – in 1987, from St Helens, probably the last thing on my mind was politics. Settling into an area which was new to both me and Ailsa, we quickly started to enjoy our new life in the South, and we have lived down here ever since, moving to Hartford in 1995.
I joined the Liberal Democrats for two reasons: I liked their national policies, but I was impressed with the way they communicated LOCALLY with the electorate, all the year round. I have never been keen on any system which sees a large majority, whether that was the Thatcher government of 1983 or the Blair one of 1997. Nor, come to that, the majority of Conservatives on the Huntingdonshire District Council. There needs to be a balance of views; a different opinion, if you like. But other than putting leaflets through doors, I have never been “active” in politics before.
So why should you vote for a bloke who has real NO political experience....or should I say, HAD no experience until he started knocking on your doors?
My answer is that you have to start somewhere, and sometime. My time is now. I am an accountant, though people who have worked with me would say I am anything but a typical one.
· For four years, I worked for Homepride Foods in Cambridge – I was Fred the Flour Grader’s money man.
· I spent eight years with Cambridge United during their highly successful years in the 1990’s – I sold Dion Dublin to Manchester United
· I was headhunted to Norwich City by Delia Smith
· I spent time working for Anglia TV’s multimedia arm, marketing and promoting their CD and web-based material for Schools
· My present job is Financial Controller of Pro-Spray Automotive Finishes Ltd. We are now based in Biggleswade after a serious fire threatened the company’s future. I steered the company through a £4.5 million insurance claim, and we are doing well in our new HQ. Our current credit rating is 97 out of 100.
· I was PTA Chairman at Houghton School for a year, and drew up the financial case for lottery funding for Houghton School’s very successful Out Of School Club.
· I have been heavily involved with Youth Football – Brampton Spartans – for eight years. I won the Hunts FA Administrator of the Year award four years ago.
· I have been the Snowy Way Neighbourhood Watch co-ordinator.
· I have had a family membership of Hartford Conservation Group for 8 years.
I hope that gives a brief flavour of the drive, professionalism and enthusiasm I have for my work and my spare time. I will bring all of that experience with me if elected. Huntingdonshire District Council faces severe financial problems in the years ahead. I will use my expertise to make those figures understandable, in simple terms, to the people of Huntingdon East, and beyond. Looking at the Council’s own current projections, the reserves they built up over the years are going to run out in 2014. That is just four years away. The Council has been relying on interest earned on its reserves. If you have a savings account, you’ll know how the interest you earn has fallen away, and if you have a level of spending that you don’t cut, you have to eat into your savings to keep going. That’s what the Council have been doing, and borrowing as well, to help pay for the new Pathfinder House.
The Liberal Democrat group on the District Council has a voice, but we need it to be a louder one. Nationally, the Tories have been saying how, after thirteen years in power, the Labour Government is tired, and there is a need for change. Locally, I believe there is a need for change. More Liberal Democrats are needed on your Council – the one which sets your Rates and spends your money.
The statement that politicians hear views "at the doorsteps" is a very true one. I have had, for example, immigration, the guided bus, MPs expenses row, closure of Huntingdon toilets, council tax, jobs in the public sector and Hinchingbrooke Hospital, plus many more, but specifically those. The last one in particular is dear to me. I have twice had brilliant outpatient treatment there, but I shall always have a huge fondness for the place as Ben was born there in 1994. I will pledge, if elected in Huntingdon East, to learn about the issues from all sides, but of one thing I am sure. With much uncertainty surrounding the future of the hospital and how it works, I will use every endeavour to keep it in our community, and in the hands of the NHS. I will seek to talk to all, from union reps, cleaners, nurses, office staff....right through to those who by the stroke of a pen on a contract, decide how it will be run.

The situation with toilets in town would be laughable, if it were not happening before our eyes. Money spent on refurbishments, wasted because the loos are locked. I thought the District Councillors wanted to encourage people to visit the town. Seems that idea is 'down the pan'. Lib Dems on the District Council tell me that alternative proposals fell on deaf ears. Ah well, if elected, I will shout down those same ears.

The guided bus. Well, David Cameron is on record so many times of saying how the Conservatives will cut waste. Pity he didn't get the local Conservatives "on message" when they voted through £300,000 worth of "corner cutting" in Hartford. Sadly, Councillor Dutton, pictured in the Hunts Post complaining about the situation, either did nothing, or not enough, to persuade his fellow Conservatives on the council that it was a bad idea. I'll give Jeff credit for at least saying it was a waste of money. If elected, I shall be asking how many buses per day are using that road, and how much time is saved.

As an accountant, I look forward to reviewing the Council's accounts, as from what I am led to believe, problems lie ahead. I intend to make a start by proposing that ALL Councillors take a 10% cut in expenses and emoluments. It may be a small gesture, but it will help when trying to explain any future cuts which may happen.

Above all, I will bring the same enthusiasm, vigour, drive and fresh approach, locally, which Nick Clegg has brought nationally. Whatever happens on May 6th, you can be sure that in Huntingdon East, Lib Dems will be working for fairness.

People are starting to realise that a vote for the Lib Dems is NOT a wasted vote, and in Huntingdon East, it is a vote for action, not words.

If you ever want to contact me, use
ste.greenall@ntlworld.com or join my group on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment