Tuesday 4 May 2010

Taking it to the streets

I have to admit that when it came to knocking on doors for the first time, there was more than a hint of nervousness in me - something I didn't expect. Of course when you have knocked on a few doors, and had some responses, it starts to get easier. It was made easier still for me by going out initially with Mike Shellens, and then more recently with my neighbour, a life long Liberal, Peter Clark. I think Peter and I came to think of ourselves as Vince and Nick! And what is more, having two people together worked wonders for us in "my home patch" - the Birds Estate. Over 1,000 voters, over 600 houses, and many hours of walking, knocking, delivering.

On a few occasions, we encountered Saeed Akthar, the Conservative candidate, who was usually with Mike Simpson (who is already a Conservative District Councillor for Huntingdon East) and Jeff Dutton, who lives near me but serves Huntingdon North. I am bound to say this, aren't I, but I felt we had more spring in our step as we campaigned, and going from the feedback this time, compared with the last District Council elections two years ago, I felt a real sense of things moving our way.

Of course, I could end up with egg on my face for saying that, but with only a couple of exceptions, the Lib Dem vote is holding well, or has strengthened. Going purely from the reactions Peter and I have been getting, we feel we are taking votes from the Conservatives in our patch of Huntingdon East.

The main thrust of the campaigning is now done, but there is a lot still to do, and last minute 'focused' work to do. As for the day itself, now less than 48 hours away, I am being "told" by the campaign team where they want me, and what they want me to do, and despite initial protestations, I shall take their guidance - they haven't been wrong yet.

What that will permit me to do is take a few breaks during the day, and update this blog as the day goes by.

One last appeal - if you are a first time reader, having had a leaflet yesterday with the blog address on, please send me an e-mail on ste.greenall@ntlworld.co.uk if you would like a board or diamond.

And remember - a vote for me ensures a Lib Dem voice in Pathfinder House. A vote for Martin Land keeps the sitting MP, Jonathan Djanogly, out. In Huntingdon, it really is as simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment